+

Monday, May 18, 2009

All Hail, Sister Aaron!

If you grew up in the Menomonie Branch with "the Friendly Lady" who introduced you to such greats as Skeeter Skittle and Emma M&M, then you have been truly blessed to have known Shirley Aaron. Every potluck Sister Aaron brought the most scrumptious orange pull-aparts to church and they were always the first item to go flying off the table. They are de-lish! Sister Aaron has recently joined the Facebook world and she's been so kind as to give me the recipe, which I am now conferring upon those who wish for greatness in the kitchen (yes, this is all slightly exaggerated but my childhood memories of this bread is legendary stuff).
*Roxi, Ephraim goes ape for these just so you know... if you wanted to surprise him sometime. :o)
ORANGE PULL-APARTS from Shirley Aaron

1/2 C. butter
1/2 C sugar
3 Beaten eggs
2 Pkgs. yeast
1/4 C. Warm water (to activate yeast)
1 C. Hot water
2 Tsp. salt
4 1/2 C. Flour
1/3 C. Shaklee N.P.S. or I just added flour instead when I didn’t have it.
Orange rind, grated
Melt butter, let cool; add remaining ingredients in order given. Let stand until raised double.
Punch down and refrigerate. Next day, 3 hours before serving, roll into rectangle the size of the Tupperware pie sheet (mine measures: 15 X 21 inches). Spread with soft butter completely and sprinkle with sugar and grated orange rind. Cut into 2-inch squares. Stack squares into towers and stand them up in greased Bundt pan (butter side of square to the next unbuttered square) until pan is full. Press down and let rise to the top of Bunt pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 min. until golden brown.

Notes from Lizzie: Shaklee NPS is a protein supplement: I added more flour. If you have a pie sheet I recommend using it to roll the dough out. Take directly from frig. and roll out before the dough gets real sticky on you (some light flouring required). Here's a photo of the "towers" but keep in mind my dough was a little warm and thus gooey. I think these pull-aparts would benefit from a light glaze or you can enjoy them without- they taste more like soft, flavored rolls normally. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mary and Gary said...

I am totally trying these! Thanks! I love things that you make in bundt pans!!!!

K May said...

Yummy!! I need to make these!

Roxi and Ephraim's Family said...

Thanks so much Liz! I need some brownie points over here and food is the way to Ephraim's heart for sure. I just hope I can make it as perfect as you. That does look delicious! Yumumum! Cute pictures! lol!

KristyKay said...

I can't believe that she actually parted with the recipe! It was always a legendary thing in the branch! Kudos to you Liz! Looks like a winner.