+

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Home, Home on the Range

Here she is! Home, sweet home. I thought that since it snowed this morning I had a legitimate excuse to spend the morning doing a little blogging. I've compiled my pictures to give everyone a little taste of Idaho. This is the front view of the house. There are lots of trees and bushes on the property and I'm excited to see what they turn out to be... my lilacs are budding which makes me excited and some of my spring bulbs are coming up. In another week or two, I might actually have some color.
This is the back deck. All the extra outdoor seating is nice and the Aspen trees around it will give nice shade in the summer, now I have to decide what to plant in the boxes.
This is my little orchard. There are a few more trees behind where I'm standing taking this photo but I know I've got 2 pears, 1 peach, 2 apples, 1 cherry, a possible apricot (not quite sure), and a possible plum. I've had the tree trimmers and sprayers out already and I'm excited to see how they produce. You can also see a little of the horseshoe pit... there is already a highly anticipated tournament being planned by our friends for this summer... I had no idea horseshoe pits were so popular.
This is Fort Molasses, named by the previous owners, and is easily Keegan's favorite place at his new home. Every time that we go outside to work on the yard, Keegan had to climb his perch where he can observe all the trucks that drive by on the road from the dairies. Each truck that passes by gets a loud "woah" out of him.
The shop is in the back of the property and at the moment is very bare... I have little hopes of it remaining this way for long. Cody and his dad patrol the farm auctions often enough that I know things will start "appearing." We've been busy ripping out fences to make more room for the pivot to swing, thus getting more acres under pivot to farm. Cody even had me running the loader, carrying cattle feeder panels to be stacked neatly by the chicken coop. The workers finished hauling away the concrete Cody ripped up yesterday and they are making the last fixes to the pivots today, so we're all ready to farm on our 80 acres. We'll be running about 200 acres by ourselves this year and Cody is helping his dad with his 2500 acres. Busy, busy. Cody is very happy though, which I can't argue with, and he even reported last night that he's already lost 8 lbs. Keegan is in the habit of patting my tummy and saying "baby" and the other night walked up to Cody and patted his tummy saying "baby." That has spurred some of Cody's dieting, I think!
This was the living room before we moved in. The wallpaper had to go and the curtains. My in-laws were amazing help with taking all the wallpaper down in the living room and dining/kitchen room. Wallpaper is hell. I curse the makers of it.
This is the room after! Again, Cody's parents did the lion's share of the painting, too, and washed all the walls in the bedrooms and bathrooms. Mom helped me pick out the furniture and I really think I brightened the room up since it's north-facing. Debbie just bought me the cutest pink pillows for a house-warming gift and they look lovely. Cody thinks they are phoo-phooey and not worth the effort since Keegan likes to carry them around. But I must keep some identity in a child-proofed house!
These are the before and after of the kitchen. Notice the lovely green and white striped wallpaper with vegetable details... yeah, as much of a pain as it was, it had to go. I'll deal with the green countertops but at least the wallpaper is no more.
I really think the dining room turned out nice and cool. The light gray that I picked sometimes looks a little lavender at night but I think it works well with the wood in the house. I've never had unpainted, "natural" trim before.
We haven't touched anything downstairs other than Cody cut and rearranged the cupboards downstairs so our flat screen fit in the entertainment area. We love all the cupboard space and finally have several of our textbooks and college stuff out of boxes.
Here's a view from the utility area into the walk-in pantry. I love the pantry. I have all sorts of things in there and I still have space! Yipee! Costco here I come.
Keegan and I have been adjusting. He's slowly getting more and more comfortable with the place. The first few nights sleeping in the house were a little rough but he's pretty sure of himself now.
For FHE this past week, we learned about the resurrection and then dyed eggs. The boys started out happy but as the time wore on it got more and more difficult to keep Keegan out of the dye.
All's well that ends well. We had a good time and didn't spill the dye which was a relief. I love the bunny ears that Keegan made in nursery and couldn't resist keeping them around a little longer. Sorry for the saga, but since we don't have the internet at our house, my postings will be here and there. Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Jenni and Jared said...

I really can't wait to see it all in person. You guys did a great job. Keegan is getting so big, wow!

K May said...

Your house is looking good!! Love the couch!

Maggie said...

Good job on the first decorating/redecorating efforts. I agree that the house looks so much more modern and 'clean' without the ageing wallpaper. I really like your living room furniture too! :)

Mary and Gary said...

When you put the before and after pictures right next to eachother you can REALLY see the difference. Great job for getting all of that done before you moved in! I do love the furniture that you bought too. Very cool. I love the pictures of Keegan with the bunny ears and dying eggs....I read a tip that I thought was interesting but I don't think Hunter is quite ready....you put the egg in a wire whisk and have kids dip them that way. No breaks or dropped eggs. You'll have to try it out and let me know how it goes...if Cody agrees to another go with the dye and the eggs. : ) Ha.

KristyKay said...

Lots of work for you all and it really turned out very well!
Keegan and bunny-ears...too cute!

Alissa Nicolau said...

Those bunny ears really were precious! You should store those away in a keeper box and drag them out each year for him to wear! And Keegan looks sooo tall. Wow. What a difference a year makes.

millie said...

The changes you made to your house look really great! I like your new couch a lot. I'm glad you're getting settled and ready for spring. Dying easter eggs can be a daunting task, but he sure looks cute in his bunny ears! love them!