Then to top it off, Sweet Corn harvest is under way as well! While not as fast as the wheat, these guys work 24 hours and can get a good chunk of things done when you are not looking. Yes the corn is delicious! Potato harvest is still a month and a half away, but it will be here before I can say, "bops your uncle!" I did harvest our garden of red and yukon gold potatoes that were out on the farm the other day, hmm, very good. The onions were rather strong, I actually cried making salsa the other night.
+
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Already??
So this is Cody, I thought I would give this blogging thing a try, especially since Liz is in Wisconsin and I am on my own waiting for a coat of paint to dry. It is hard to believe that it is already harvest time, yep that is right. For about a week now the combines have been roaming AgriNorthwest thrashing away. The past 5 days they have been in the area I work, 3,000 or so acres in 6 days (will finish tomorrow). Amazing!! The pics just don't do it justice. For all you farm lovers I got three of the six combines in a row. All use GPS, so straighter than anything you can imagine. 35 - 40 foot headers and yes it is cool to watch them get to the last pass and it fits perfectly. Maybe I am the only one that thinks that is cool, if you don't you should come up and I will let you try and drive straight! Oh and each of those blue wagons on the tractors fills a semi (1100 - 1300 bushel) and they load a truck every ten minutes.



Then to top it off, Sweet Corn harvest is under way as well! While not as fast as the wheat, these guys work 24 hours and can get a good chunk of things done when you are not looking. Yes the corn is delicious! Potato harvest is still a month and a half away, but it will be here before I can say, "bops your uncle!" I did harvest our garden of red and yukon gold potatoes that were out on the farm the other day, hmm, very good. The onions were rather strong, I actually cried making salsa the other night.


I have a couple of other surprises for Liz too, but I can't post those or they won't be a surprise. Due to the amazing heat (over 100 degrees F the past week, and the low is 80) our garden has decided to pump out the goods. The plants are everywhere and I have more tomatoes and squash than I know what to do with! Which I don't like either, so that threshold wasn't hard to get over. We are going to have beans out the wazoo! Those I will eat. The tomato pile on our counter was two days from the previous picking. There are some watermelons I have my eye on too! YUM! Anyways, don't worry about little old me, although I did tell a co-worker today, Liz will have been gone so long when she returns it will be like we are newlyweds again just moving in together for the first time. Our house is dead quite!! I need Keegan back to tell me what to do. One more week, that is all. Enjoy! I love to talk farming too, so if you really want to know more than you ever wanted about farming up here, give me a buzz. Not tonight though, I am painting! :o)




Then to top it off, Sweet Corn harvest is under way as well! While not as fast as the wheat, these guys work 24 hours and can get a good chunk of things done when you are not looking. Yes the corn is delicious! Potato harvest is still a month and a half away, but it will be here before I can say, "bops your uncle!" I did harvest our garden of red and yukon gold potatoes that were out on the farm the other day, hmm, very good. The onions were rather strong, I actually cried making salsa the other night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you did wonderful with your first blog entry. the garden looks great. happy farming.
I need to get Gary to read your blog post. I'm sure he would appreciate the GPS more than I could ever! I love the story about picking a spot to drive in a straight line across the field...after the boy is done the field is a mess...the dad asks why he didn't pick a spot like he said..the boy said he did but the cow kept moving. Great post. I'll make sure to make Gary comment too.
I think the blog is really interesting with all your farm photos and the info. Keep it up!
We will send Liz home in a few days. She's really ready for a pair of arms to take over!
Good job, Cody! I enjoyed the 'farmer' perspective (only time I get that is at the Farmer's Market here in Cali).
Post a Comment