+

Monday, October 31, 2011

Vroom, Vroom!

 Sugarbeet harvest is upon us! The long hours of getting the yard, the house, and several meals prepared in the freezer is over and we're blowing through the fields, bringing in all those sugarbeets. We've got about four days left if all goes well and I can't wait. It's been a long haul.

I do have a pretty new truck this year, my father-in-law spoils me and his wife. We share the white truck above trading around noon and I take the night shift. Debbie has been amazing with the boys and they are loving their time with Grandma all to themselves.
 I thought I'd take some photos of the beet dump where we bring the beets for winter storage until the factory needs them. Huge semi trucks pick them up all winter long to keep the factories running. The Jerome dump has one long ramp, which you back onto with 6 inches on each side of your tires, and one short ramp which helps the semis unload.
 Once you're up on the ramp, you feel a bit like Mater from Cars because all you use is your rear view mirrors. I watch the operators and they tell me when to run the PTO to unload the beets, go faster unloading, or when to leave.
 From the other window I can watch the piler spitting out all the sugar beets into the pile. It's really big. This is what I stare at for half the day and the other half I'm getting loaded by the tractor in the field. All in all it's a nice way to be part of the action and to get to see Cody throughout the day.
The boys LOVE the truck but Oliver does get tired of his carseat. Keegan knows all the names of the trucks by their drivers and all the men at the beet dump wave at him when we show up with a load. Keegan really loved the day when all the trucks were getting stuck left and right. It had rained for two days and when we finally got going again, it was almost comical. The motto is "Don't stop!" The tractors spent most of that day pulling us out of the field instead! Little boy's dream! Mud, tractors, trucks!

Happy Harvest!

No comments: