+

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hold the Phone!

Lizzie's driving a 10-wheeler! Eeeee! Yep, clear the roads because I have to stand on the clutch in order to stop (it reminds Cody of Shortstop driving in Indiana Jones with blocks on his feet). I practiced all September and took the helm last Thursday as we started sugar beet harvest. I'm very slow and won't go faster than 40 mph. I've already been passed by TWO semis loaded with potatoes by crazy little Mexican men who can barely see over the steering wheel. AND I caused some major congestion as I pulled out onto a State Highway and then promptly lost my gear... more fun stories to follow I'm sure.

I am on a first name basis with all the men at the beet dump. My first day they would jump up next to my mirror to help me back up onto the ramp but the second day I did it all by myself and they were proud of me, giving me thumbs up and lots of smiles... my mother-in-law thinks that it helps that I'm a young girl. Whatever gets me through the day! I'll try to take a picture of the dump sometime because it's very narrow and if you're not careful you'll either tip or blow a tire. If you really think about it, there are several ways from field to dump that I could maim or kill myself but who's dwelling on the negative, right? I can't call mom or dad anymore because all they say is "don't kill anyone" and that's not helping. Cody says I'm doing really well considering I have never even driven a manual, but prayers in my direction are appreciated!

Happy Harvest!

4 comments:

Paige said...

I'm surprised you've never driven a manual...it's good to try new things. Go Liz!!

Josh or Kaylin said...

Hey guys congrats on the new baby. I found your blog through Brett and Annie. Don't worry about driving truck you will get it. Its good to see you guys through pics. Kaylin and Josh

SJW said...

Okay, I am now scared to come to Blackfoot on Thursday for fear of being on the same road as you. I am so proud of you for embracing life as a true Idahoan. Man I miss Southeastern Idaho. The only thing you're missing is coveralls with the name embroidered 'Juan.' Miss you.

millie said...

NICE!!!