

I think I've found my calling in life: personal pastry chef to my husband. I've started taking a cake decorating class and I really enjoy it. Cody bought me supplies for Christmas, and after my first batch of cupcakes were decorated in an undistinguishable manner, I realized I needed a bit more guidance.

The all-white cake is my first attempt after my first lesson and I messed around with a few of the tips (I learned how not to use little stars on the bottom border unless you want to drive yourself insane and wear out your hand muscles for life). We learned how to use the tips in the second class.

The blue cake was for the second class and we decorated it during class. Fun, huh? (I forgot to level my blue cake before I frosted it so don't judge too harshly... it's only my second cake.) I didn't want to cut it I was so proud of my snowflake cake but it did taste yummy. I still have some icing smoothness issues and my depth of frosting to perfect but give me a little time.

I've learned a few tricks which I'll post on the Last One To The Table blog that might help your cakes come out flat and other little points of interest. I've completed another cake with flowers on it! Imagine that! But I haven't put the photos on the computer yet. For the meantime, Cody is constantly reminding me I need more practice (translation: I have run out of cake and would like more) and so I put on my apron and make more fun!
5 comments:
The blue snowflake cake is beautiful--I wouldn't want to eat it either. Looks like you're having fun! You and Millie man, wow. Tell Grandma too, she'll be over the moon. I think I disappoint so much in that regard!!
That is awesome! I had some roommates that decided to take a cake decorating class and I definitaly benefitted! Lucky Cody! I like to make German Chocolate Cake for Gary because: 1. it is his favorite and 2. the frosting has coconut in it, can be bought from the store, and doesn't have to be smooth. :) I want to see pictures of your flowers!
Congrats! I think you are doing real well!! All those little do-dads are really hard after you get to the 100 or 200dth one!
Gorgeous cake Liz! I won't have to worry about Daphne's wedding reception now. I know I can call you and Millie to take care of everything! It looks like you are having a good time! We had a really good lesson in Relief Society about creating something from nothing and how it is a huge need in our lives. I thought about my creative in-laws throughout the whole lesson! You guys are such good examples for me. Thanks for sharing your creations!
Awesome, Liz! I would love to do something like that. Cake Decorating Class? Who Knew?! What a fun hobby. Looking forward to seeing your next projects.
Post a Comment