+

Friday, November 21, 2008

Ode to a friend.

After a long, long night, I'm very heavyhearted to report that we put Duke down last night. It seemed all his "sheep" activity caught up with him. After a week and a half of not eating and two trips to the vet, we saw the rock in his belly that would have taken a massive surgery to fix. We discussed our options with the vet and he warned us that if Duke eats rocks (which he does often) then there is a high likelihood we'd be doing the same surgery again in a few months time. We just can't afford that. I said my goodbyes and Cody took Duke for a last drive into the hills. Unfortunately, Cody and I learned a hard lesson last night about pets and responsibilities, and we've shed many tears since.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

That's too bad, Liz. How sad! I've never heard of a dog eating rocks before though--how strange. What is the reason?

Lizzie Bingham said...

Personalities, I think. Some dogs bark, some chew, others sleep all the time.

KristyKay said...

I am so sorry...he was a good dog, albeit one with a strange appetite.

Mary and Gary said...

Poor Duke. Our dog has taken to eating wood...not so hard on her digestive system as rocks, I suppose. At least he had the attitude that if he is going to go, he might as well go eating and doing what he likes. If you are in need of doggie company, we'll loan you ours.....

Christine said...

Oh that's so so so sad!!! I am so sorry for you guys. That's too bad that happened. I never met the poor pup but I always liked him. Always a funny story about his adventures in the back yard. I have never heard of a dog eating big rocks like that before.